bundokbiker

Wednesday, January 05, 2005

Sluggard to slumber

I'm getting fatter and slower. Ten years ago I entered the world of mountain bike racing at 135 pounds. I'm 33 now (and about that many more pounds), and I see many of my friends constantly improving while I'm standing still. It doesn't seem to matter their age. Some are younger and some older. Some are training seriously, and some are just genetically gifted. I have neither of these going for me, so I've got to do something about it or I will always be the one off the back.

This year I resolve to make a training plan for biking, and actually sticking to it. If you want measurable results, then I'll say I want to lop two hours off my previous SM100 time.

I've never done this before. Previously, my training consisted of riding hard and riding often. That's it. I am learning now that this isn't the best way to go about it. There's stuff like zones, peaks, and, er, dedication which can make you a much better rider without too much more work. I've got a lot to learn, but hopefully tomorrow I'll get the training book and HRM my wife ordered for me for Christmas.

Dropping down to 150 pounds will be my secondary goal. However, this may be harder than training regimen because I'm a lazy eater. I'm semi-allergic to a bunch of types of fruits, so I usually snack on sugary items. I also eat fast food because I don't like taking time to prepare food. Ask my wife, but whenever I cook, I've had the bad habit of eating the food while preparing it. Hopefully I can control myself around the Krispy Kremes, KFC, and Five Guys burgers and fries.

I used to laugh and make fun of those that said stuff like, "I need to stay in Zone 2 on tonight's ride." Now, I'll be joining their ranks. Join me as I laugh at myself.

7 Comments:

  • > "Dropping down to 150 pounds..."

    Man, you skinny guys... You're trying to get down to 150, while I'm trying stay "down" around 100 lbs more than you. At least I have a good excuse for dropping constantly :)

    -gary
    (clydesdales unite!)

    By Blogger gmr2048, at 11:34 AM  

  • i've got the same goal as you... 2hrs off my SM100 time... although that would probably get me down to where you were the first time...

    By Blogger joe, at 1:48 PM  

  • 2 hours is a lot to take off, but I'm sure you can do it. I will just try to finish the darn thing. The bad news is that I too have put on some weight over the holidays. I'm up to 126 now.

    By Blogger JoeP, at 2:32 PM  

  • Everybody join me in say, I HATE YOU JOEP! ha ha... i'm with you ricky, and the older we get the more rest we need and more this and that... oh well. I think we'll all have to get together soon for those long rides joeF mentioned before. I'd also like to do plenty of epic Mountian bike rides, although those do not usually keep you in a "zone". Just make sure you keep it fun, cause really man, you kick most of our a$$e$ all the time!!

    By Blogger Lee, at 2:56 PM  

  • how about a ride on saturday... weather this week is going to be wet enough to keep the trails soggy... start in georgetown, head out custis and back in on the w&od, down to mt. vernon and back, and then up round the capitol cresent... should be 50-70 miles with a couple of places to bail out

    By Blogger joe, at 4:33 PM  

  • wish i could, but i've promised this weekend to kathleen, so any riding i do will be right out my back door and only for an hour or two.

    By Blogger Lee, at 8:09 AM  

  • Don't do it! You just need to consume more of that energy recovery drink known as beer!

    By Blogger riderx, at 12:19 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home