bundokbiker

Sunday, January 02, 2005

Last blast

Friday afternoon I headed out to meet some friends at Greenbrier. I arrived at about forty minutes early for what I thought was a 1:30 ride so I decided to go for a quick spin after suiting up. [Looking back at my e-mail it was 12:30, dumbass.] Up the hill to the left, then back down to the car by 1:25. I remembered Markie had a group ride going on at the Watershed at 2:00 so I waited until about 1:40, but they didn't show up so I left a little P.O.'d. I threw the bike onto the car and blazed back south to the Hamburg Road parking lot.

As I was pulling up, I saw about a dozen guys on BIG full-suspension bikes, with arm pads, leg pads, the whole deal. No sweat I thought to myself, Markie can't be riding with them.

I roll up to Markie and I see Becky, a gal I've ridden with once before who isn't half bad. I figure it's just the three of us, but one of the freeride guys calls her over. Oh snap. I confirm with Markie if this is the crew. Yup. Double snaps. How am I going to keep up with them? I don't know any of them so I have no idea what kind of riding we'll be doing, but from the looks of them, it'll be the big drop stuff. I felt like a brought a knife to a gunfight decked out in my tight lycra shorts (red to boot), kneewarmers and heart rate monitor.

We set off towards on the Blue trail towards Gambrill, a direction that I have started riding more often. I like it because there are a lot of sections that are really rocky, but rideable, and it's easy to get into a groove where you need to concentrate on the next spot where you will be, unless you enjoy doing endos.

All the while, Markie and I are in the lead group doing just fine with the big travel boys. The guy right in front of me is a little skittish and gives me many opportunities to trackstand as he stutters and stops on the rocks. Ahh, I get it. This isn't the first time I've been unnecessarily worried about showing up for a ride with guys decked out in downhill pads and gear (while I was in my lycra). They were using the safety stuff as precautionary measures. It wasn't for ripping up the trail -- it was for the inevitable falls. I start to relax a little when I realize that I'll be ok riding with this crew.

At the bottom of the Blue trail (which I love!), one of the guys (that actually can jump) challenges me to lift his bike. I do and I'm blown away how heavy it is. It actually feels like it's around 50 pounds. Yikes! I can't imagine trying to ride a bike like that...upwards.

We take a few turns and since we're at the bottom, there's no way but up. Markie and I break away up the Blue trail valley (I suck at names so that could be completely off). He on his lightweight Salsa hardtail gearie, me because I have no choice. The rest of the crew spinning furiously in their grannies, doing just fine cleaning the stuff, albeit at crawling speed.

We make it past the yellow trail, but daylight is running short, as are peoples' time. We have to hightail it back to the Hamburg Rd parking lot, but two guys get flats within minutes of each other. They get it fixed up quickly, then we do a reverse of the trail that we took out.

When I get back I am completely spent. Bouncing off the rocks is a great workout. I absolutely love this section and glad that I was able to hook up with a fun group.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home