bundokbiker

Wednesday, January 26, 2005

Melange à Trois

Halfway through the eight mile loop of the Rosaryville ride last night, the drive side bolt on my ENO hub stripped and was trying to escape by rattling itself loose. If you ride fixie - heck, if you ride - you know that you won't get far if the hub is only supported on one side. I just replaced that bolt 20 minutes earlier because the one I started the ride with stripped as well. That previous one lasted only for two hours of riding since I replaced it last week. Three bolts. One hub. One useless hub.

I am now up to three major things that have died since the beginning of the year: this ENO hub, a $300+ Chris King SS rear hub, and (drumroll please) a singlespeed titanium frame. White will get a call from me tomorrow. King will be receiving their rear hub in five days. And Matt, well, this one is just hard to discuss right now. I've talked to him and he's going to build me a new one. However, I have to decide whether I want a 29er or another 26er (which he no longer builds). In the near future, I may be asking for opinions of which way I should go.

Finally, this is my third wedding anniversary. We'll sit in front of a fire and have a quiet dinner to celebrate. Leather is the traditional present for the third, so I'll pick her up another pair of Dansko clogs in antique red. She loves them things. I gave her first pair 5 years ago, and they remain her favorite shoes. She also just got me my first pair of the quirky clogs (Professionals in black), and I dig 'em.

5 Comments:

  • First, congratulations on the spelling of "Melange à Trois." :)

    Hmm 29er vs. 26er... 29er! yup, size matters. And I'm not just saying that to overcompensate for my... well let's not go there.

    Lastly, I thought the black clogs were your idea, you metrosexual you.

    By Blogger JoeP, at 10:18 AM  

  • It has a crack along the top tube. I won't post pics because they can be misconstrued. However, I found the crack while cleaning up my bike after a Gambrill ride with Chance a few weeks ago.

    Nevertheless, this bike remains my favorite amongst the dozen I've owned in the last 14 years. I have no regrets, and Chester is completely taking care of me by building a new one.

    By Blogger rickyd 2, at 2:39 PM  

  • JoeP - yup, my Danskos were my idea, but she bankrolled them. She gave them to me last month as an early anniversary gift, and the Polar HRM was the xmas present.

    Finally, just because I wear Dansko clogs doesn't mean you can start checking me out! Fresh!

    By Blogger rickyd 2, at 2:48 PM  

  • "Finally, just because I wear Dansko clogs doesn't mean you can start checking me out! Fresh!"

    Too late, Mark's been doing that for a while. Clogs or not!

    By Blogger riderx, at 9:01 AM  

  • there are advantages and disadvantages on the 29er
    if the 29er were better all around... there would not be a reason for them to make the 26er

    leather....

    how did the clogs go over....

    I remember getting my wife some leather pants
    she looks great in them
    but
    she never wears them

    By Blogger gwadzilla, at 12:46 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home